Weekly Challenge!

Weekly Challenge!

Let’s play!

Here’s this week’s writing prompt.

“The day has just begun…”

Read the prompt, and write the first thing that comes to mind. Or, think about it for awhile and write a more polished piece. I just want to have fun with words! Please post an entry no longer than 2000 words. Winners announced Thursday May 20, and get a featured spot on my blog.

6 Responses to “Weekly Challenge!”

1. Lori Moritz says:

The day has just begun… Little baby wakes. He’s peaceful. He smiles. He roots for the breast. He sucks. He struggles.

Mama senses the strain. Thinks it might be the beam of light through the window, snatching his attention, that causes the disturbance.

Baby coughs.

Baby sneezes.

Baby barfs.

Not just once, either. Maybe six or seven times. In fact, baby regurgitates an amount that surprises Mama. She didn’t know she had so much storage in her boobs… or that he had so much storage in his gut.

It’s everywhere. The pillow is soaked. Mama feels the warm goo ooze over her bare belly and down between her legs.

She winces.

She picks at the mucus mixed in with chunks of coagulated milk.

Baby’s face has returned to a measure of solace… crisis now expelled.

Code one-million, Mama thinks. And Papa’s not here to help.

Great.

And the day has just begun….

• PhilosopherKingES says:

So vivid. This is somehow hilarious, disgusting, and poetic all at once.

2. Adam21 says:

The day has just begun.
    I squint as the rays of the sun stream through a gap in the curtains, time for me to rise and shine.
    A daily tradition of half walking, half stumbling into the kitchen for some strong coffee.
    On the kitchen counter a half empty bottle of Stolichnaya, a silent reminder of the night before.
    Back into the freezer it goes, slotting in comfortably next to its twin.
    Waiting for the kettle to boil, a perfect time to start the day as I mean to go on. I reach out and grab hold of the bottle of cognac, removing the top and tossing it aside I drink deeply, not possessing of the patience to retrieve a glass. The bitter taste swiftly passes it settles and warms my stomach. The first of many liquid meals which to take me through the day. Doctor once told me I shouldn’t drink alcohol on an empty stomach so maybe I’ll indulge in a tin of baked beans later.

The day had just begun when the doctor gave me the news.
    Never smoked a cigarette in my life but ten years of performing on stage in a smoke filled pub before a smoking ban had even been considered had torn my lungs apart.

A race it is then, perhaps it’ll be a photo finish. Lungs or Liver, which will be first to the finish line?

• Lori Moritz says:

Ghastly!

If I got that sort of news, I know I’d be drinking, too.

3. PhilosopherKingES says:

The day has just begun,
    reminding me of all the other days that began,
    then ended,
    meager sandwiches of bread on bread.
    No meat between the daily routine of tearing oneself from dozy dreams
    and returning to bed, somnolent again.
    Naught but sand, in fact.

Humanity persists in a directionless line,
    voyaging, voyaging toward…
    The generations cycle idly like annual flowers.
    I travel on a plane in one direction
    on a line segment of indeterminable length,
    yet I too live in cycles.
    In one, eating, another, driving, a third, wanting

The fourth consists of turbulent seas.
    Upon these I sail irrationally,
    master of my intent and nothing more.
    Here consciousness monsters cease their torments as
    I anchor in the shallows off mind’s luminescent shore.

Realm where existence is a distant memory,
    and cares are but paranoid shadows,
    the polarized sweets and sours of life
    rain down in confused, fantastic showers.

In this blended up hash of horror and delight—
    but the light cycle’s turning,
    the end’s come to night.
    The day’s just beginning, and streaming through my window
    the bright morning extends its daily invitation to life.

• Lori Moritz says:

Wow! This is fantastic!

My favorite lines:

“meager sandwiches of bread on bread.
      No meat between the daily routine of tearing oneself from dozy dreams”

and then:

“yet I too live in cycles.
      In one, eating, another, driving, a third, wantingThe fourth consists of turbulent seas.
      Upon these I sail irrationally,
      master of my intent and nothing more.”

For some reason the cycle of eating, driving, wanting, and sailing sound so dismal. Mind’s luminescent shore! So much like ‘Night’s Plutonian Shore’ LOL! How many times have we talked about Poe!?! 🙂

I hope you do next week’s challenge, too!

L, Lori