Using Tarot Cards for Writing Inspiration – A writing exercise that’s worth it!

Using Tarot Cards for Writing Inspiration – A writing exercise that’s worth it!

Alright. Sure. Maybe it sounds strange… of course it does. But Tarot DOES have its uses outside of predicting the future and personal insight.

If you find yourself stuck, with no inspiration, in the dreaded state of Writer’s Block, get yourself a tarot deck.

Here’s the exercise:

If you want, you can light some candles and dim the lights. (LOL) No really. You can. Then…

Shuffle the deck.

Pick a card.

If you are a tarot expert already you can skip the next step.

Read the tarot book or look up the meaning of the card on the internet.

(You can find the meaning of the cards for free on many websites, but most decks come with explanations.)

Apply the aspect of this card to any aspect of your writing you are having troubles with… Character… plot… story idea… you name it…

This is rich.

Let me illustrate the process with my own experience:

I did this tonight (YES TONIGHT!).

No candles, but the light was dim.

I shuffled my perfectly ordered deck (which my friend Jennifer informed me was a no-no in regards to Tarot. I was embarrassed about it and blamed it on my German blood. No really. I ordered my cards because I was worried I was missing a few. And because I am a little obsessive compulsive, but I digress…)

I pulled the Queen of Cups.

It turns out that the Queen of Cups is a mother figure. A nurturer. A great wife, a great mother, someone in balance with feminine home structure…. it goes on, and gets deeper, but this is not a Tarot lesson.

I sat back and thought about it.

An idea formed.

What if there was a mother who loved so much, and was so nurturing and full of love, that she smothered all those she cared for. I mean literally smothered. I mean, all those that she loved, died.

AWESOME!

I am now in the process of developing the story line.

THANK YOU TAROT!

Stay tuned for the literary results.

L, Lori

11 Responses to “Using Tarot Cards for Writing Inspiration – A writing exercise that’s worth it!”

1. June says:

Hi again Lori! Great writing exercise.

I like pulling a character for a character and a second card for the plot. There’s probably a hundred (thousands?) of ways to have the cards help with characters, plotting, settings, etc.

Isn’t this FUN?

Oh, yeah…

Take care,
    June

2. Adam21 says:

I had a little play with a Tarot deck today, according to instructions you shuffle pack and cut three times. I got the King of Cups which is supposed to mean honest businessman or something similar.

I remain doubtful as to whether you are actually supposed to tarot read yourself.

• Lori Moritz says:

Wow… the King of cups! And I had the Queen :) Don’t feel obligated to read the tarot on yourself… instead, use the King of cups to find inspiration for writing a story! Write about a businessman who is so honest, that other people are convinced he is dishonest, or something like that… :)

3. Karen Elliott says:

Where do I get Tarot cards? I’ve always been a little afraid of Tarot, or palm reading, or the like – afraid I’ll hear something that will ruin the rest of my life. :)

• Lori Moritz says:

I would go to Amazon and search through the images on a couple of decks, and buy one that you like to look at :) LOL on the tarot ruining the rest of your life. What about Ouija? Have you seen the movie Paranormal Activity?

• i used to be the voice of the ouija board. i know. not very honest, sorta sneaky. not really my personality. but i worked out well!

when i was 13, my parents were having troubles because my father was having an affair. they would ask the board questions in general but that was an underlying theme of their marriage woes. i’d answer all kinds of questions by pretending i had no idea where the little thingy was going to carry our hands.

but i would get the answer, so why not tell it. it would always be funny, or helpful, accurate, so they kept asking more questions.

papa left home, and we didn’t know where he was was for a year or so. mama asked the board where he was. i saw all the images of it, knew all the answers to her specific questions, though i had no idea.

i said he was in indianapolis, two streets over from the river. she named what she thought it would be, and i said no, that’s not it. she said, oh, you’re right, it would be…. and yes, that was it.

i said his car was parked off to the side in a covered area, and it was a series of apartments, and only that one has a little hill in front, and also had a wreathe on the door, though it was summer.

we drove by there, and i was right. mama eventually went by and talked to his secretary, whom he was living with, and that was part of what led him to come home.

• Lori Moritz says:

wait… were your hands on the planchette at the time, or did your answer channel through to your parents hands????

• Lori Moritz says:

OK, after rereading, I’m guessing your hand was on the planchette… that is amazing! I wonder if such activities as ouija simply open up the portal to truth in some backdoor fashion? I have an inkling that we all could see reality better if we let go of our blinding cultural norms.

4. Julie says:

This is a fantastic idea with one or two character traits/flaws built-in. I will definitely look into getting myself a deck.

P.S. I just found your website and I will definitely return and maybe even contribute! Keep up the good work.

• Lori Moritz says:

Julie, the story result of my card pick is posted under The Queen of Cups. I hope you have time to read it. :) and YES! I would love for you to contribute!!!!

L, Lori